Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shell

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sat Jun 1 13:17:12 AEST 1985

> Is the source for job control available?

Yes, Ron's job control module is available for the asking,
BUT there are quite a few pieces of the Bourne shell that
have to be modified too.  (They are all flagged with
#ifdef JOBS in our sources.)  The simplest thing is to get
a copy of all the shell sources from us, either as part of
the BRL VAX UNIX (4.nBSD) distribution (Release 3.0 had a
problem due to some changes in process group rules, fixed
in our current shell sources) or as part of the BRL UNIX
System V emulation for 4.2BSD.  For information about the
former, contact Mike Muuss and crew (mike at brl.arpa or
decvax!brl-bmd!mike); for information about the latter
contact Douglas Gwyn (gwyn at brl.arpa or decvax!brl-bmd!gwyn).

There seems to be a problem with requests from outside the
U.S.A. but we can probably find ways..

P.S.  I think Arnold Robbins of Georgia Tech was intending
to post these and other Bourne shell enhancements soon..