What's a good small time-sharing box

jbn at wdl1.UUCP jbn at wdl1.UUCP
Thu May 23 11:25:53 AEST 1985

     I'm looking for a UNIX box with the following properties.  The
application is as a small time-sharing system to be used primarily for
electronic mail.  Multiple such boxes are to be networked together.

	- M680x0 or VAX-based (to avoid proliferation)
	- Simplicity of system administration (no local guru)
	- Reliable automatic crash recovery (again, no local guru)
	- Compact size
	- Operation in office environment (reasonably quiet, no special power)
	- Good support of IP/TCP, including both Ethernet and async lines
	- Ethernet should be optional
	- Good electronic mail suitable for naive user (SMTP)
	- Modest performance - 8 light users in screen editors max
	- Virtual memory not required
	- Price under $20K, preferably under $10K.

					John Nagle

Disclaimer: this is not an RFP.  I'd rather hear from end users.