Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shell

Dave Berry db at cstvax.UUCP
Thu May 23 12:05:18 AEST 1985

In article <9636 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Doug Gwyn writes:
>> The System V Bourne shell has "test" and other functions built in.  This
>> improves its performance.  Now, if someone would port this to 4.2...
>
>We have done this at BRL (and Ron Natalie even added job control).
>Unfortunately, last I heard, Berkeley did not have a UNIX System V
>license so they could not include UNIX System V source in their
>distribution.

Is the source for job control available?   Could someone post it either
to me or to {mod,net}.sources?  (Obviously I'm not asking
for the source of the System V shell itself, just the changes for
4.2bsd + job control).  Is this possible to do without violating
ATT contracts, USA export controls, the bounds of good taste, etc.?

(I tried to contact Doug by mail, but the ARPAnet security wouldn't have
any of that.  Now I just hope our news link works at last ...)

	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!{hwcs,kcl-cs}!cstvax!db

--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!hwcs!cstvax!db