Shared runtime libraries - SV shared memory?

Robert P. Eby eby at pegasus.UUCP
Wed May 29 14:42:01 AEST 1985

As a followup to Mike's (phoenix!mzal) article, sdb is useable with a
process running with (our version of 3B2) shared libraries.  However, it
will not handle addresses in the shared library in any easy to use
fashion (you have to interpret the hex for yourself).

The implementation we have was developed originally for the 3B5, and
in theory, should be doable on any System V machine configured with
shared memory.  The things to watch out for are;
	- shared memory has to be executable.  This is true by default
	  on the 3B20 & 3B2, but requires a two line kernel mod on the
	  3B5 (not sure about the vax).
	- you have to be sure to attach the shared library at a fixed
	  virtual address, which is usually differant between differant
	  machine types.  This is so that the ``interface routines'' can
	  find it later when needed.

				Bob Eby
				pegasus!eby