Shared runtime libraries - SV shared memory?

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Tue May 21 06:11:45 AEST 1985

>   In a random discussion with a co-worker the other day, I recalled a
> scheme for reducing the size text segments of programs used in an
> otherwise excreble and unnamed operating system:  Shared runtime
> libraries.  Though I have no current application, it seemed like an
> interesting topic to bounce around.

A couple of notes on the subject:

	A) The IBM PL/I Optimizing compiler running under VM/CMS has what
	   they call a "transient" library.  I'm not sure about all the
	   details, but I believe this library can be set up (by the
	   system administrator) to reside in a non-volative section of
	   memory.  I think OS/MVS has the same thing.

	B) I understand the new AT&T 7300 micro supports some type of
	   shared libraries.  Again, I'm not sure of all the details,
	   but I have heard that you can't use the debugger with a
	   program using the shared libraries.

Anyone want to clarify?

			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert