How do you spell "Motorola 68000"?

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue May 28 11:38:49 AEST 1985

> # This is the makefile for my UNIX PC quickie environment
> CFLAGS	= -Dm68k -Dm68 -Dmc68k -Uvax  -UMICROOMS -Updp11 -Uu3b ...

Sun's compiler predefines "mc68000" (which isn't strictly true, as we use
MC68010s, not MC68000s).  CCI's compiler predefines "m68000" (which is more
correct, since "m68000" is sort of the name for the architecture).  What
does the System V micro-port compiler define?  What, if anything, does the
AT&T 68000 compiler define?  What does the PC 7300 compiler define?  What
does any other 68000-based UNIX out there define?

Can we please get together and decide on *one* #define constant which says you
have a Motorola 68000 architecture, and maybe several #define constants for
the various chips in that family?  (And, while we're at it, decide on some
#define constants for the other chips out there?  For example, there's
"u3b", and "u3b5", and "u3b2" (I think), but I don't know if there's a
generic "3B UNIX" define, or even a generic "WE32000 family" define.)  If
the micro-ports have standard #define constants, I'd vote for those being
the official standard.

And, while we're at it, could we also use that constant's name for the name
of the command which says "you're on a Motorola 68000-based machine" as well?

Also, what is the "machine" field in the "utsname" structure supposed to
contain - the name of the architecture or of the implementation (i.e., "vax"
or "vax-780"/"vax-750"/...), and what are the correct values for various
machines?

	Guy Harris