Shared runtime libraries - SV shared memory?

Mike Zaleski mzal at phoenix.UUCP
Thu May 23 11:45:00 AEST 1985

>> I understand the new AT&T 7300 micro supports some type of
>> shared libraries.  Again, I'm not sure of all the details,
>> but I have heard that you can't use the debugger with a
>> program using the shared libraries.

I'm not sure about the 7300 micro, but on our 3b2's we run
a shared runtime library with our XXX CLASSIFIED XXX project.
The basic idea is that a set of shareable routines is built
with the loader and loaded by a special process at boot time
(or manually while the system is running if no one is using the
shared runtime library).  The routines are accessed by small
assembler routines which are in a different library which developers
use to link their programs with.

Because I'm not doing development on our project, I'm not sure
about the debugger statement.  What I *think* is the case is that
SDB can be used, but is not very helpful on errors in the shared
runtime library.

We've been using this setup for a while and it works quite nicely.

-- "The Model Citizen" Mike^Z
   Zaleski at Rutgers  [ allegra, ihnp4 ] pegasus!mzal