changing the 4.2 broadcast address

Craig Partridge craig at loki.ARPA
Thu May 30 01:58:47 AEST 1985

    I've recently been looking into the problem of altering the 4.2
network code to accept the all 1's IP broadcast address instead of
all 0's.  (Several projects here want to conform to the Internet spec).

    A quick look over the kernel code suggested that this would actually
be trivial (a couple of days work), and that the major problems would
be routing out cases of comparing with 0 instead of INADDR_ANY.  (I'm
ignore, for the moment, the problem of fixing applications).

    Anyway, the problem looked sufficiently simple that I began to
wonder if anyone else had already done it.  Has anyone?  (Reply direct
to me and I'll summarize to the net if people are interested).

Craig Partridge
craig at bbn-loki (ARPA)
craig%loki.arpa at csnet-relay (CSNET)
{decvax,ihnp4,wjh12}!bbncca!craig (USENET)