new user id system idea.

H. Morrow Long [Systems Center] long at ittvax.UUCP
Wed May 1 11:09:42 AEST 1985

> From: Mike Trachtman  <wizard%wisdom.bitnet at WISCVM.ARPA>
>
> an idea for protection sceme for unix.
>
> Note: this is not entirely thought out, any comments are welcome.
>
> It seems to me that having only all or no privledges,
> is not quite appropiate for systems that support more than 20 users.
>
> One would like to give teaching assitants access to make some accounts,
> have other users be allowed to do backups, have some users, be allowed
> to access certain devices, etc., w/o giving them full su privs.

	This can be done with a group for the TA's and appropriate
	group permissions on the files, directories and programs they
	need to access.  Another group for operators, etc.  Under
	4.2bsd they can even belong to multiple groups simultaneously.
	All without setuid programs.

	Hey!  Lets not be lazy out there.

--

				H. Morrow Long
				ITT-ATC Systems Center,

path = {allegra bunker ctcgrafx dcdvaxb dcdwest ucbvax!decvax duke eosp1
	ittral lbl-csam milford mit-eddie psuvax1 purdue qubix qumix
	research sii supai tmmnet twg uf-cgrl wxlvax yale}!ittvax!long