new user id system idea.

terryl at tekcrl.UUCP terryl at tekcrl.UUCP
Thu May 2 04:16:50 AEST 1985

>an idea for protection sceme for unix.

>Note: this is not entirely thought out, any comments are welcome.

>One would like to give teaching assitants access to make some accounts,
>have other users be allowed to do backups, have some users, be allowed
>to access certain devices, etc., w/o giving them full su privs.

>Thus I think Unix should have more than one type of priv.

>also, I think that the group idea is not really used well at most Unix
>Installations, and should be slightly modified to deal with it.

>Lastly I think, that as alot of software gets strange ideas, when a person
>is running as su, as to who is running, that system should be slightly changed
>also.

>Thus I suggest the following:

>1) have a three layer permission heirechy (rather than 2 as now)

                        root
>        |-------|--------|--------|--------|
>        group   group    group    group    group
>        leader  leader   leader   leader   leader
>        | | |   | | | |  | | | |  | | | |  | | | |
>        users   and more  users ..................

>with uid-0 being root
>uid 1-255 being group leaders
>and other users, having the gid coded in the hi word and user within
>the group, coded in the low word.

     You sure you didn't go to Berkeley??? They did something similar
6-8 years ago with group leaders. Basically, if the user id matched the
group id, then that user was a group leader with su-like privileges for
that group only. If I remember correctly(rarely) they never did distribute
this as part of the normal UNIX* distribution.

				Terry Laskodi
				     of
				Tektronix

* UNIX IS A TRADEMARK OF YOU-KNOW-WHO