Strange behavior in 'make'

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Sat May 4 07:28:58 AEST 1985

	Make is giving me a very strange error message, it is saying
Don't know how to make xx.c,v
when that file already exists and has NO dependancies. Furthermore,
it ONLY generates the message for the first such file, if it once gets
past the first on it works fine. (I got it past by adding a how-to-make
line to my makefile which said to make xx.c,v by writing to /dev/null).
	My makefile includes a default rule for making objects from
.c,v files directly. The object in question is stated to depend on an
include file, but so are at least four other objects which also derive
from a similar .c,v file. Thus of +/-five identically declared files
in the makefile, I get the error message only on the first.
	Why? Why would make try to make the ultimate source file??
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen