UUCP, serial port, and ExorMacs wierdness

Chris Lewis clewis at mnetor.UUCP
Fri May 17 00:42:39 AEST 1985

In article <78 at uw-june> dragon at uw-june (Brian Matthews) writes:
>We're using an ExorMacs with 2Meg as a uucp node.  We're running uucp
>version 5.2 (I think).  The problem is, if I start up uucico, or do a
>uupoll from a remote machine, and there are no jobs queued on either
>end,

[ or even if the remote has stuff to send but the EXORmacs doesn't ]

>everything goes fine until the master uucico (running on the
>remote machine) tells the other to quit.  The master finally times out,
>and by now the slave uucico on the ExorMacs is just sitting on the port.
>I kill the uucico, and a getty is spawned, but I can't kill it, even
>with a 9 (as superuser of course).  The getty is always (at least when

Just a little extra from someone who has to communicate with Brian's
site "cxsea" regularly: EXACTLY THE SAME behaviour is exhibited with
the System V uucico that comes with the EXORmacs (V/68 rev 2.1 I think -
right Brian?).  We've tried putting sleeps around the ioctls that
his uucico does (because of a suspicion of the EXORmacs tty drivers) but
we usually end up with multiple defunct-ppid=1-but-invisible-to-init
processes (seemingly another known problem with V/68).  Our system is
a Pyramid running 4.2 BSD uucp (probably the same "5.2 uucp").

This behaviour is NOT seen on a normal user login.

ARGH!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Is anyone out there
using EXORmacs uucp to any extent?

ps: Hi Brian - I'm glad you have another uucp net connection.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis