UUCP, serial port, and ExorMacs wierdness

Brian Matthews dragon at uw-june
Sat May 18 13:51:40 AEST 1985

Well, after some experimentation, I have some more info.  It seems that
if the calling uucico is uucp 5.2, it hangs the port, no matter what
the answering uucp is on the ExorMacs.  I compared the code of the SysV
uucico and the 5.2 uucico, and changed what looked like important
differences, and it worked!  Sort of.  The uucico now ALWAYS reports a
timeout (running it with -x4) after it has sent the final "OO 0", but
the uucico on the other end doesn't hang, it exits, and a normal getty
is spawned.  Unfortunately, after a number transfers, init seems to
break, and any process created is made a zombie when it exits!
We have been in contact with MicroSystems, and they're looking into the
problem, but I'd appreciate any help anyone else can give.

Brian Matthews
...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!cxsea!arrakis!blm

PS:  The code I modified was in cico.c, where things are coming to and
end.  There is an 'if (!setjmp(jmpbuf)) {'.  In this block is something
like 'omsg ("OOOOO 0", Ofn)' or something.  It is this statement I
removed.  Sorry I can't be more exact, but I'm typing this on a
different machine.  If it matters I can look it up.