a smarter soelim

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Fri May 10 14:41:29 AEST 1985

> We would like to be able to send some of our large troff jobs off to be
> run on a remote machine.  When the users input contains .so's to source
> files (which reside only on the local machine) this is a potential problem.
>
> We can handle the simple case ...
>                                         Currently, soelim is not able to
> handle something of the form:
>
> .ds // /usr/lib/ms/
> .so \*(//s.cov
>
> Francie Newbery

We gave up at Berkeley when confronted with this problem.  There, we were
dealing with a typesetter connected to just one machine on a network, and
wanted to queue the outputs for operators to run.  So far as I know, there's
no general solution short of running all of troff locally.

The string substitution form you describe probably covers 90% or more of the
cases, but people put .so's behind .if's as well.  Those are the hard ones.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146