a smarter soelim

Francie J Newbery fjn at Purdue.ARPA
Tue May 7 02:23:38 AEST 1985

We would like to be able to send some of our large troff jobs off to be
run on a remote machine.  When the users input contains .so's to source
files (which reside only on the local machine) this is a potential problem.

We can handle the simple case of a .so of the form:

.so <filename>

by simply running the input through soelim before sending it to the
remote troff machine.  Unfortunately, the so's are often used in combination
with define string macros such as .ds.  Currently, soelim is not able to
handle something of the form:

.ds // /usr/lib/ms/
.so \*(//s.cov

Has anyone else come across this problem before and maybe developed a
better version of soelim that would take these string maninpulations
into account?  If so, please contact Francie Newbery (fjn at Purdue).

Francie Newbery