using Vax as fileserver for Xerox Lisp machine

David Morton dave at ecrcvax.UUCP
Fri Nov 15 06:22:07 AEST 1985

In article <watvlsi.2785> version B 2.10.1 6/24/83 (MC840302); site ecrcvax.UUCP version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site watvlsi.UUCP ecrcvax!unido!mcvax!seismo!gatech!akgua!whuxlm!whuxl!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!burl!clyde!watmath!watnot!watvlsi!ecpearson ecpearson at watvlsi.UUCP (Eric Pearson) writes:
>We have an eithernet connecting up a set of Vaxen running
>4.3. We would like to connect our Xerox 1108 Lisp machine to
>this network, so we can use the Vaxen as print & file
>servers.
>
>The problem: the Lisp machine talks PUP and the Vax/Unix
>have only the lowest level of PUP support.
>
>We need to find the software (which I know exists) which
>will reside on the vaxen in the background and act as a
>File Transfer Program (FTP).

We are also very interested in this software.

Also,
can somebody please give us all a concise description of how
the 1108's (with or without the fileserver) can be effectively
used in a VAX/uVAX II environment. I know that 4.3 will have
XNS support, but nobody has given any details on the net, as
far as I know. The second question is what is PUP (a file
transfer prog. ?) and how comfortable is it to interact between
both systems. I did approach some Xerox people at the Systems
fair here two weeks ago but they didn't seem to know anything
about PUP. In fact they also didn't know that 1185/86 systems
had been announced in L.A. in Aug. which I found really
strange. I believe there are lots of people who would be
interested in answers to these questions but nobody knows where
to turn.  We will be buying two 1108's with a FS in the near
future and we would like to integrate them into our 4.x scene
and make it comfortable for our users. If anyone can take the
time to reply we'd be really grateful. Many thanks for your
help in advance.
--

Dave Morton
Tel. + (49) 89 - 92699 - 139