Anyone had to deal with ulimit()

Tanner Andrews tanner at ki4pv.UUCP
Thu Nov 7 13:51:09 AEST 1985

It comes to my attention that the xenix for the IBM-AT comes with
the default "ulimit" set far too low.

This is easily corrected in the login program (assuming, of course,
that you have the source for the same.  We have a home-grown version
because we wanted more security) by setting a ulimit which is very
very large.  The largest seems to be 2113674 on this xenix system,
which is larger than the disk.

Has anyone out here had any real use for this "ulimit" to be set to
different values for different users?  If so, details on the scheme
used to keep the ulimit information would be appreciated.  I have
thought that I might put it as yet more information in the gcos field
of /etc/passwd if it looks like it might be useful, but frankly I do
not see much use for this wonderful feature.

Insights into why I should consider "ulimit" to be useful would also
be appreciated.  Comments on my ignorance for not seeing the utility
of this in my application should be kept polite.

Flames about how xenix on the IBM-AT has the "ulimit" set to a
hilariously low value are not required.  Enough of that I get from the
northern branch, which has the good fortune to possess an IBM-AT.

Please **mail** to me, rather than posting to the net.  I will issue
a summary of responses at a later date.

--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews, KI4PV
uucp:					...!decvax!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner