Does your PBX include a dial-a-wiret

Dave Emery die at hydra.UUCP
Wed Nov 20 02:37:50 AEST 1985

	In answer to the question of what I was refering to by
"early versions of UNIX" - I did indeed mean that well known
"C" compiler and login crock.  I have heard a probably appocryphal
account of how Bell labs released an early copy of some version
of UNIX that contained the trapdoor to a government agency sensitive
to security issues and had to quickly scramble to fix the problem.

	I have no specific knowlage that any publicly released version
of UNIX had the trapdoor still in place - it might be interesting for
anyone who has access to really old versions from ancient prehistory
to check.  Software development organizations often leaked copies of
development versions of software to favored customers in that era
("try this - it's much better than the release"), so some internal
Bell labs versions may have gotten out with the trapdoor even if
no formal ever product did.

          David I. Emery    Charles River Data Systems   617-626-1102
          983 Concord St., Framingham, MA 01701.
	  uucp: decvax!frog!die