Help Me #1

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Nov 17 07:02:53 AEST 1985

In article <2720 at brl-tgr.ARPA> cottrell at NBS-VMS.ARPA (COTTRELL, JAMES) writes:
>Dump/Restore wants you to mount the last tape first when restoring
>selective files. Supposedly it's faster. Why?

I've tried it both ways, under BSD4.X.  When I mounted the first
tape, it dumbly went through the whole tape set, searching for the
inodes.  When I mounted the last tape, it stopped, thought a moment,
and then asked me to put on the right tape!

_I_ don't know why!
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}