Installing 4.2bsd using the tape bootstrap monitor

Tim Radzykewycz radzy at calma.UUCP
Tue Nov 26 02:51:34 AEST 1985

In article <2029 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>...we are going to have the HDA replaced.  This means doing a
>full dump of all the file systems, replacing the HDA, and
>then doing a cold install and a full restore.  The only
>problem is that we don't have a cassette to work from.

>The 4.2 System Manager's Manual shows a binary I can toggle
>in to pull the bootstrap monitor off the distribution tape.
>Has anybody actually done this on an 11/750 with TU-80?  Does
>it really work?

I haven't done that on the system in question, however, I have
done similar manual bootstrapping.  The systems involved were
(antiquity:)LSI-11/23, UNIX V7, TM tape emulation, RP03 disk emulation
	VAX 11/780, BSD 4.1, TU77, RM03
	VAX 11/750, BSD 4.2, TS11, Emulex/Eagle
	VAX 11/750, BSD 4.2, TM tape emulation (Emulex), Emulex/Eagle
Note: the last two systems are really the same.  The only
difference is that the tape systems were changed.

I haven't ever had any problems with those.  I did have
problems with the following system, though the problems were
later on in the boot process.
	VAX 11/785, BSD 4.2, TS11 and TM emulation, (don't remember the disk type)
The manual bootstrap routine does read the boot block from the tape,
but from there, nothing works.  I also tried the cassette tape (actually
tried that first), and the stuff on that doesn't work.  We concluded
that there was a timing problem between the controller and the system,
and never did get it to work.

Unless you are working on *extrememly* unusual hardware, don't worry
about the manual bootstrapping working.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage
	calma!radzy at ucbvax.ARPA