Installing 4.2bsd using the tape bootstrap monitor

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Mon Nov 25 10:13:53 AEST 1985

	Due to increasingly frequent errors on our (single) RA-81, we are
going to have the HDA replaced.  This means doing a full dump of all the
file systems, replacing the HDA, and then doing a cold install and a full
restore.  The only problem (besides the many hours for the dump/restore) is
that we don't have a cassette to work from to do the re-installation (we
borrowed one when we did it originally).

	The 4.2 System Manager's Manual shows a binary I can toggle in
(actually type in; feh) to pull the bootstrap monitor off the distribution
tape.  Has anybody actually done this on an 11/750 with TU-80?  Does it
really work?  I don't mind playing with the binary (sort of fun, actually),
but I'm going to look real stupid if the machine just sits there and halts
when I type "S 200".
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016