Help. Is there a bug fix for - "panic: ifree: freeing free inode"?

Wayne Little rwl at umree.UUCP
Sat Nov 23 09:57:51 AEST 1985

We are running BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/780 with an RA81, and having alot of panic
crashes with the message: panic: ifree: freeing free inode?
We've gone down with this a couple of times a week for the last few weeks.

I did apply the patch by Kirk Mckusick to fix a race condition between unlink
and rename also causing "freeing free inode" panic.  This patch was distributed
in the 1984-2 USENIX tape.  This didn't seem to help; if anything, it seems to
be somewhat more frequent since then.  I have double checked the code to see
that it was installed as given.  I doubt there is a relation, but thought I
should include it on that outside chance.

I will be diving in to the kernel to see if I can find anything, but any help
in the mean time will be greatly appreciated!  (It may be awhile before I come
up for air.)

Thanks in advance!
Wayne Little
System Manager
US MAIL:	EE Dept., University of Missouri - Rolla, Rolla, MO 65401
phone:		(314) 341-4546

              seismo!
                     \
uucp:		ihnp4!wucs!umree!rwl