TAR DOES NOT SWAP BYTES

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Tue Oct 1 07:39:40 AEST 1985

In article <2818 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>                              If you must use "cpio", use "cpio -c";
>however, "tar" is more universal - it's in V7, 4.xBSD, and Systems III and V.

Agreed about cpio, but it's not clear that SysV has a real tar in all
cases.  When I visited a site of ATTIS a couple of years ago, they
insisted that I bring a cpio tape, since they weren't sure that their
3B20 tar could read tapes made on a VAX.  It turned out that I had left
something off the cpio tape that was on my standard tar tape, so we
caried the tar tape to a VAX, extracted the appropriate files, and
write them out again with cpio to move them to the 3B.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."