how big is a pipe?

David M. Haynes david at ecrhub.UUCP
Wed Oct 9 08:31:57 AEST 1985

> >buffer size (typically 1024). However, on the 3b2 (and the ELXSI)
> >which have 2048 byte buffers, you get quite interesting behavior
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> According to the 3b2 admin guide you must allow 1076 bytes
> per buffer in the buffer pool.  I imagine that this is
> 1024 bytes of data + overhead.
> --
>
> Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
> 				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ

This may fall into the area of fuzzy thinking, but
what's wrong with this arguement?
To find out how big a pipe is, grab your handy manual and see how
many pipes you can have open at one time.
Remember that a pipe takes an inode so, this number
times the size of your system's blocks should give the maximum
capacity of a pipe. No?

They only asked me one question, and 		David M. Haynes
that was, "What is your name?"			Exegetics Inc.
And I got 75% on that one...			..!utzoo!ecrhub!david
[Peter Cook - Beyond the Fringe]

Exegetics Inc. is a legal convenience and does not care what I have to say.
Emerald City Research Inc. is very kind to let me use their machine, but
in no way is even remotely responsible for the stuff I post.