Serial line problems on Sun

PA at BRL.ARPA PA at BRL.ARPA
Fri Oct 4 16:30:32 AEST 1985

We have a network of Sun workstations. They each have the capability to
use 6 serial ports.  Two of the ports, labeled /dev/ttya and b, work
fine. The other 4, labeled /dev/ttys0 through 3, have problems. Quite
often when we use them (as terminal lines), some of the characters we
type in get echoed 10 or 15 times.  This is quite annoying when in
vi or mail.  Until now we have been able to get around that by using
only the first two ports. But we are expanding such that we need to
use more.  When the ports are acting particularly flaky, we get the
message "zs5: silo overflow" on the console (or some other number for
the zs board).  Has anyone else experienced this problem, and does
anyone have any suggestions whatsoever?  I'd appreciate hearing about
them.  We are running 4.2BSD.

			Steven Christensen
			International TechneGroup, Inc.
			...decvax!utah-cs!utah-gr!admin!iti!svc