memory access benchmark

Scott Orshan sdo at u1100a.UUCP
Tue Oct 15 23:05:15 AEST 1985

In article <89 at ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> cnrdean at ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU () writes:

>My guess is that to test the data size, I would simply keep 'alloc'ing
>until a failure happens.  I would like, not only to declare a
>large array, but to test that values are accurately stored.

This wouldn't work on the Sperry 1100 versions of the UNIX system.
The stack and data share a memory area.  There is a user defined
address at which the stack starts growing downward and the heap
starts growing upward.  This address is an option to the loader
and it allows stack to be traded for heap.

0400000  <----- Stack Growth ----| Data |------ sbrk area ---> 0777777
				 ^

			This can be adjusted
--