Random Precision

George Williams gww at aphasia.UUCP
Sat Oct 12 07:39:16 AEST 1985

> I have heard many times that people like the number 17, because it is
> "the most random number", I find this statement illogical, as how can
> one number be "more random" than another, unless they mean that this
> number will occurr most offten when generating "random numbers".

I too have heard 17 called the most random number, but this was always
done in a joking fashion, by people who knew they were talking gibberish.
I was also given a "proof" that went something like this.

Obviously the most random number must be less than 20 (other numbers just
    don't occur that often).
Obviously it most be prime since if it is divisible by two things it can't
    be random.
Well now
    2	isn't random because it's even
    3	isn't random because it's the smallest odd prime
    5	isn't random because it's half of ten
    7	I have forgotten
    11	isn't random because it's digits repeat
    13	I have forgotten
    19	is one less than 20 so it isn't random

Or something like that (remember :-).