uucp and unity

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Sat Oct 5 10:31:51 AEST 1985

A site in town is wanting to get attached to Usenet but is having trouble
getting their uucp to login on our Vax.  His machine is a 750 running
VMS 4.x with the latest version of unity.  Our machine is also a 750 running
BRL release 3 (4.2BSD).

He is able to get uucico to use the modem protocol to dial the phone
but is unable to get anything to work reliably after that.  He will
SOMETIMES see our login prompt and sometimes not.  And of those times
he is only SOMETIMES be able to actually get logged in.  And if he
ever logs in then the uucico protocol doesn't get started right.

If this were a unix system I'd be saying that there was a getty on the
line and the two processes are fighting over who can read the characters.
Is there a similar process on vms?

Can anybody offer any suggestions?
--
David Herron, ukma!david at ANL-MCS.ARPA, cbosgd!ukma!david
(Soon -- david at UKMA.BITNET, and (hopefully) david at ukma.csnet)

Hackin's in me blood!  My mother was known as Miss Hacker before she married!