Sun < - > VAXen UDP connections

Special Projects Group networks at dartvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 30 07:22:34 AEST 1985

I was in the process of writing something similar to syslog(3) to
handle logging error reports from an application running on various
machines. A daemon runs on a Sun, listening for messages on a UDP
AF_INET socket. The application, on an error, sends out a UDP packet
to the daemon. All works beautifully from Sun to Sun, or Sun to self.
But when I try to log a message from a VAX 785 running 4.2 BSD to
the Sun, nothing gets there. No error reports on either end and all
the ports, protocols, and addresses check out. In the process of
tracking this down, I noticed that talk, which also uses udp, does
not work between the VAX and the Suns. Any help on this would be
greatly appreciated. Please *mail* replies, I do not usually read
unix-wizards. Thanks, in advance.

--
David C. Kovar  -- Special Projects Group

	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!networks
	    ARPA:	networks%dartmouth at csnet-relay
	    CSNET:	networks at dartmouth

	    US Mail:    Kiewit Computation Center
			Dartmouth College