11/70 <-> uVax II link

tcs at usna.ARPA tcs at usna.ARPA
Sun Sep 29 08:32:08 AEST 1985

In article <1486 at uwmacc.UUCP> jwp at uwmacc.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>We have a PDP 11/70 running 2.8BSD.  We are thinking of getting
>a MicroVax II, and getting Berkeley Vax Unix to run on that.  Instead
>of trying to get networking going on our 11/70, we thought we'd
>get a Systems Industries disk and controller that will be shared
>by the two machines.  Is this a reasonable approach?

Or you could buy an Excelan unibus ethernet card and their
Exos front-end TCP/IP implementation.  It adds about 8K to your kernel
and has the 4.1c network system call semantics, but it offers
the standard suite of network utilities (rcp, rsh, telnet, etc).
I have done that here on some PDP11/45's (not enough core to handle
2.9's network code) and it works fine.  Good throughput too (~60Kby/sec).
It takes about a man-week to make the mods necessary to get the drivers
to work on 2.8bsd.  I have the 2.9 stuff if you're interested.
	-tcs
	Terry Slattery	  U.S. Naval Academy	301-267-4413
	ARPA: tcs at brl-tgr.arpa
	UUCP: decvax!brl-bmd!usna!tcs