Bizzare paranoia of /bin/login on 3b2

Pat M. Iurilli pat at pyuxqq.UUCP
Sat Sep 7 06:42:17 AEST 1985

A similar occurrence happened to me a few times, but for a different
reason.  I had just done some work on an ACU on the contty port and
accidentally knocked the shield ground wire off the ground lug on the
console port.  I got the exact same phenomena about login not asking
for a passwd, then saying login incorrect.  all was fixed when i
reconnected the ground wire.  I have been told that all the I/O ports
on the 3b2 will work fine with or without the shield ground wire
attached, but i can recreate the problem any time by just removing the
wire, so I guess something's flakey.  Anyone else have any ideas?
--
Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4}!pyuxqq!pat