Avoiding expansion of mail's metacharacters (UK's jmail)

L.M.McLoughlin lmcl at ukc.UUCP
Fri Sep 13 02:00:18 AEST 1985

In article <84 at l5.uucp> gnu at l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <215 at ukc.UUCP>, lmcl at ukc.UUCP (L.M.McLoughlin) writes:
>> Jmail is based on the mechanism used by the main UK academic network.
>> For example:
>> "[3120,4044]"@edxa.ac.uk,
>> lee at kcl-cs.UUCP,
>> lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk
>>
>> Date: 02 Sep 85 9:15:29 BST  etc...
>
>Can you leave out the extraneous commas?  Just one address per line
>with no extra characters or delimiters or quotes or modes or whatever
>would be true and utter simplicity...

Indeed I would have was it not for the fact that I had access to a program
(the one for the UK standard) which I used as the basis of jmail and the
UK standard had commas and I was asked not to create yet another standard.

However if one address per line was prefered then why not?