Another reason why - really /tmp

P.L.Sullivan pls at soessx.UUCP
Sat Sep 28 14:16:16 AEST 1985

In article <2279 at sunybcs.UUCP> loverso at sunybcs.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) writes:
>From: peter at rlgvax.UUCP (Peter Klosky) 16 Sep 85 <764 at rlgvax.UUCP>
>> > For security make your /tmp file 0600 mode.
>
>I also changed /etc/rc to clear /tmp with an rm -r

If you have the luxury of a separate /tmp file system it is even more
efficient and often takes less time than "rm -r" to simply do a "mkfs"
over the old one.  The big advantage is that the free list gets
reassembled for optimum access rather than being frag'ed all over
the file system.

(I know - If you don't, "fsck -s..." does just about as much good (:-).