Need help on UUCP connection (4.2 <--> Ultrix)

Jerry J. Deroo jerry at utrc-2at.UUCP
Fri Sep 20 05:43:16 AEST 1985

> our system is a Pyramid 90x which is running 4.2 UUCP (basically).
>
> uucp TheirMachine (9/9-21:22-15691) SUCCEEDED (call to TheirMachine )
> imsg >\015\012\020<
> Shere\000imsg >\020<
> RLOGIN\000msg-RLOGIN			<-----  Problem Message
> uucp TheirMachine (9/9-21:22-15691) HANDSHAKE FAILED (LOGIN)
> Hanging up fd = 7
> exit code 0
>
> The LOGFILE on the remote machine shows a line like below...
> 	uucp OurMachine (9/9-21:22-15691) (LOGIN VS MACHINE) FAILED
> The ERRLOG shows no errors.
>
>   Now on the Ultrix machine the login for our machine is "UOurMachine"  and
> has an appropriate password.  In the remote machine's USERFILE we also have
> an entry like   --   UOurMachine,OurMachine /usr/spool/uucppublic.
I just ran into this situation where the USERFILE was not specified correctly
on the remote machine. i is not a very descriptive errormessage. your
USERFILE entry might be too specific.. try
   ,OurMachine /usr/....