UNIX Futures

Tim Smith tim at ism780c.UUCP
Wed Apr 9 08:09:28 AEST 1986

In article <2417 at teddy.UUCP> jpn at teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:

> I sure wish people would read before flaming.

I sure wish people who lived in glass houses ... :-)

>  The original article was talking about SHELL LAYERS "shl" which
> is a System V poor imitation of Berkeley job control.

Shell layers is not an attempt to imitate job control!  Shell layers
is an attempt to solve the problem of multiplexing input to several
processes.  Job control seems to be a kludge attempting to solve
multiple problems ( process control, input multiplexing, and output
multiplexing ) all at once.

> Under Shell Layers, a ^Z (or equivalent keystroke) passes the
> terminal input to a different program, but the program that was
> intercepted is not told, and is NOT EVEN STOPPED (output will
> continue).

Shell layers may be set up so that any process that attempts to do IO
will block.  Output in this case will not continue.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim