yacc state space

covey at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU covey at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU
Sun Apr 6 08:26:00 AEST 1986

/* ---------- "yacc state space" ---------- */

	Hello out there.  I'm trying to use yacc to produce a parser
for a language which has about 130 terminals, 90 non-terminals, and
about 450 rules.  I know this is considered to be a "huge" grammar
by yacc.

	My problem is that up until just a couple of hours ago,
yacc would work on it.  I had several shift/reduce, reduce/reduce
conflicts, and rule not reduced errors which I am in the process of
trying to correct.  I figured out why I was getting most of the rule
not reduced errors and after I edited the grammar to correct the problem
Yacc would no longer work on it.  It would give me a fatal error saying
that state space was exceeded and just die.

	Has anyone else out there encountered this problem.  If so, were
you able to get around it and how?  Any information and/or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  I have even tried to up the memsize
allocated in yacc to some extremely large number and it still doesn't
work.  I suspect that state space exceeded is just a symptom of a
larger problem but I'm at a loss as to what and how to correct the
problem.

	Please send replies via e-mail to one of the following
address.  Thanks for your help.

				Nancy Covey

covey at uiuc.ARPA		(via ARPAnet)
covey at uiuc.csnet	(via CSNET)