Help with 4.3bsd kernel problem needed

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Wed Apr 9 12:47:07 AEST 1986

In article <666 at pucc-s> news at pucc-j (Usenet news) writes:
>Date: 1 Apr 86 16:23:35
>We recently had occasion to investigate a recurring problem in our
>kernel; we experienced crashes (about one per day) on one of our vaxen,
>with only the message:
>
>panic: smr 0x0666 m_err_in
>Using "adb -k", we began to plow through the various core dumps we had
>lying about.  We were surprised to find a lot of symbols whose origin
>could not be clearly traced back to the kernel sources; along
>with the usual "fork()" and "kill()", things such as "horn()", and
>"tail()" and "clovn()" started showing up.

[ et cute cetera ]

Obviously, you're not running the correct diagnostics.  I have a tape
labelled EXOR-11: I believe it is a system exorciser.  Perhaps DEC has
one for the VAX as well?  For this procedure, of course, you'll need
a consecrated Host.  This should leave you with all virtuous memory,
and no trace of zombie processes.

"Computrem benedico in nomine Patris et Filii at Spiritus Sancti."