Eighth Edition and job control (was Re: UNIX Futures)

Tim Smith tim at ism780c.UUCP
Sat Apr 12 13:18:57 AEST 1986

In article <71 at utecfc.UUCP> dennis at utecfc.UUCP (Dennis Ferguson) writes:

>I am typing this on a rather dumb 24x80 terminal.  Approximate
>value is $400.  I have showed your message to just about everyone
>arund here with funds but no one has volunteered to provide me
>with the $9000 or so I would need to buy a 5620.  Some people have
>all the luck.

There is no reason one can not make 5620 technology available at a
very low cost.  Look at some of the computers that are now available
with bitmapped displays: Macintosh ( 512k goes for around $1300 ),
Atari 520ST ( $800 ), and Amiga ( ~$1200? ).

There is no reason one can not turn any of these into a reasonable
5620 emulator.  The large screen of the 5620 is nice, but I think one
could live with the smaller screens of the above computers.

Anyone care to predict how long the dumb terminal will last?  Unless
it is real cheap ( i.e., almost free ), I can't see any reason to get
one when for maybe twice as much I can get a computer and run a terminal
emulator.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim