Eighth Edition and job control (was Re: UNIX Futures)

Philip Peake philip at axis.UUCP
Thu Apr 17 01:34:53 AEST 1986

In article <1586 at ism780c.UUCP> tim at ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In article <71 at utecfc.UUCP> dennis at utecfc.UUCP (Dennis Ferguson) writes:
>>
>>I am typing this on a rather dumb 24x80 terminal.  Approximate
>>value is $400.  I have showed your message to just about everyone
>>arund here with funds but no one has volunteered to provide me
>>with the $9000 or so I would need to buy a 5620.  Some people have
>>all the luck.
>>

>There is no reason one can not make 5620 technology available at a
>very low cost.

I find the cost of 5620's interresting. I know its not exactly the same
thing as a Blit, but the following extract seems worth thinking about..

	"The Blit is inexpensive. For little more than the cost of
	replacing the 24-by-80 terminals, everyone in our research
	center, including the support staff, has a Blit."

This quote is taken from the BLTJ, Vol.63, "The Blit: A multiplexed graphics
terminal"

So, who is making the big fat profit (as if you couldn't guess) ?