Problems with Ultrix Decnet software

Juha Hein{nen jh at tut.UUCP
Sat Apr 26 22:26:45 AEST 1986

Our computing center recently bought two uVax IIs with Ultrix and
Decnet software.  The machines are connected to a common Ethernet
with Suns and VMS Vaxen and they were supposed to act as gateways
between the two wordls.  After rewriting the sendmail stuff,
everything works except the Ultrix Decnet software.

The problem is that the Ethernet connection between Ultrix and VMS
machines hangs up several times in a week.  Then a dlogin command to
either a VMS Vax or to another Ultrix Vax just sits there without any
response.  The same thing happens to any mail going from the Ultrix
machine to a VMS machine -- mail11 processes get started for each new
message and then they hang up and fill the process slots.  At the same
time rlogin and Unix mail works fine.

Has anybody else had similar experience and could help us?  I called
DEC in Finland and they refused to do anything before we start paying
for their service.  The machines are new but the warranty only
applies to hardware!
--
	Juha Heinanen  {mcvax, seismo}!enea!tut!jh