Make

Sean Casey sean at ukecc.UUCP
Fri Aug 8 17:51:41 AEST 1986

I need some help with make.  I've pored over the documentation, but
it seems that no matter what I try I can't get it to do what I want.
Could somebody please help me out?

I have some nroff source files in a directory.  I want to conditionally
compile them and place the results in another directory.  The end result
should look something like this:

% ls
subject1.ms	subject2.ms	subject3.ms	subject4.ms
% ls ../docsdir
%
% make
	nroff -ms subject1.ms | myprog > ../docsdir/subject1
	nroff -ms subject2.ms | myprog > ../docsdir/subject2
	nroff -ms subject3.ms | myprog > ../docsdir/subject3
	nroff -ms subject4.ms | myprog > ../docsdir/subject4
% touch subject2.ms
% make
	nroff -ms subject2.ms | myprog > ../docsdir/subject2
%

This doesn't sound all that complicated for someone that really
knows make.  I've tried .SUFFIXES: .ms:, changing .DEFAULT, etc.

Help!

Sean