Make

Kha Sin Teow khasin at hcrvx2.UUCP
Fri Aug 15 23:49:26 AEST 1986

In article <567 at ukecc.UUCP> sean at ukecc.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>I need some help with make.  I've pored over the documentation, but
>it seems that no matter what I try I can't get it to do what I want.
>Could somebody please help me out?

although i don't have a complete solution to your problem, i have done
something similar to what you are trying to do.
typically i maintained a processed document file in the same directory
as the source, except that it is appended with a different suffix.
using your sample of file names:
	subject1.ms subject2.ms
i would put the processed files into:
	subject1.doc subject2.doc

Consequently, the Makefile would look something like this:

	# Make file for processing subject documents
	.SUFFIXES .doc .ms
	#
	.ms.doc:
		nroff -ms $*.ms | myprog > $*.doc

If you must keep *.doc in a separate subdirectory, you could "mv" or
"ln" them.
Otherwise, you would have to explicitly specify the depedency of each
processed file and its source:

	# another make file line
	docsdir/subject1.doc:	subject1.ms
		nroff -ms ...

which is not as "elegant" as the previous setup.

Hope this help.

Kha Sin TEOW, HCR.
Toronto.