What's in Honey DanBer

Bob Halloran halloran at unirot.UUCP
Fri Aug 1 04:54:41 AEST 1986

In article <679 at mtune.UUCP> jhc at mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>In article <538 at pyramid.UUCP> csg at pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>>I think HoneyDanber is now the standard version of UUCP in S5R3.
>>
>>Correct. The current 3B release of SVR2 also includes HDB as standard. (Both
>>are woefully lacking in transition tools. *SIGH*) The S5R3 HDB also has a new
>>'e' protocol that uses TLI on streams, a small hack that is trumpted all over
>>the SVR3 promotional literature. I'd be curious to know who wrote it since it
>>doesn't look like Peter & company's work. (It's obvious from the labels that
>>the 'e' originally meant Ethernet.... :-))
>
>I tend to agree that 'e' originally meant Ethernet, since 'e' protocol
>was originally only included if the system was running UNET. Of
>course, it could mean 'express' or 'extra' or enything :-). But surely
>the 'e' protocol pre-dates HDB, and at least some sites are offering
>it - bellcore for example. I'm sure they only mean to use it over
>their X.25 links, but they do offer it if you call them.

Actually, I believe it means 'error-free'; it's made for use over a
channel that does its own error handling, hence the radically improved
throughput you achieved, since no error checking/correction was being
done in the software (your results edited out on this followup).
There is also an 'x' protocol module specifically for X.25 links.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: topaz!caip!unirot!halloran		DDD: (201)251-7514
CSNet/ARPA: unirot!halloran at caip.rutgers.edu	ATTmail: RHALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark." -
	Dr. Lizardo/John Whorfin, "Buckaroo Banzai"