History of lorder on SVR2 (was Re: lorder bug ...)

Sam Kendall sam at think.COM
Sat Aug 23 02:07:25 AEST 1986

In article <6425 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>3) The System V, Release 2 "lorder" doesn't have "/[TD] /" anywhere in it,
>and line 19 is in the middle of a comment.

No, actually, there are two different SVR2 lorders.  Originally, as I
reconstruct it, the COFF was put in place, along with a new and totally
different output format for nm(1).  Then two different groups went off
to make System V's, and each independently found that the new nm format
broke the lorder shell script.  The two groups solved it in different
ways: one group added an undocumented nm option to produce old-style
output, so that lorder could remain basically unchanged.  The other
group rewrote lorder to use the new nm output format; and it can't
have been easy, because the new format is complicated and poorly
documented.

Anyway, on the 3B20 (and VAX?) lorder _does_ have "/[TD] /" in it, and
nm has the undocumented compatibility option; but on the 3B2 lorder
does not have "/[TD] /", and nm does not have the option.  (It's
possible I have the 3B20 and 3B2 reversed here.)

---
Sam Kendall			sam at godot.think.com
Thinking Machines Corp.		ihnp4!think!sam