MIT TCP/IP query

Wayne Seltzer seltzer at nbires.UUCP
Fri Aug 8 03:34:57 AEST 1986

>Part of the MIT information states that the BSD TCP/IP is non-standard
>in several ways. Has anyone any experience of using the MIT package in
>a BSD environment? What does "investing some effort in adjusting your
>4.2 configuration" mean?? The intention was to be able to do remote
>logins and file transfer to/from the PC from/to the VAX and Suns. Can we
>do this, or are there a lot of problems on the BSD side?

The MIT TCP/IP package for the PC (called "PCIP") includes support
for telnet (client only) and tftp (client and server).

I had no problems using telnet, nor the tftp client.
I did run into trouble using tftp server, though.
Seems that the 4.2 tftp client (/usr/ucb/tftp) has a bug that shows up only
when talking w/ a Non-4.2 server.  In looking at the 4.2 code and the
tftp RFC, it looks like the folks at Berzerkely made some mistakes.
In fact, if you look at the man page for tftpd(8C) [doesn't seem to
be a man page for tftp(1C) - oh well], it says under BUGS:

  "This server is known only to be self consistent (i.e. it operates with
   the user TFTP program, tftp(1C). Due to the unreliability of the transport
   protocol (UDP) and the scarcity of TFTP implementations, it is uncertain
   whether it really works."

I made some local changes to the tftp client and got it to
work w/ the MIT PC tftp server.  I assume that other folks have run into
this problem, and maybe someone even posted the fixes to net.sources.
I dunno.

I can send you the diffs if you have a source license, etc.

Or you can just use the PC client and the 4.2 server, if that fits your
needs. (We *needed* to run the PC server, so I fixed the 4.2 client)

--
Wayne Seltzer			{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!seltzer
NBI Inc., Boulder, CO		(303) 444-5710