Cipher F880 Microstreamer

Jeff Siegal JBS%DEEP-THOUGHT at mit-eddie.arpa
Fri Feb 28 14:53:57 AEST 1986

We are running one of these here on a VAX-11/750.  The performance
is HORRIBLE.

When one uses cat to stuff a file out /dev/mt0, things don't seem
too bad -- the drive receives data fast enough to go into streaming
mode.  If one instead writes to the raw device, /dev/rmt0, the
drive goes into start-stop simulation mode (uh, looks like the
data isn't here yet.  Back up and reposition the tape).

Needless to say, when this happens, performance goes out to lunch.

Since we use this drive primarily for backups, and the /etc/dump program
needs to write to the rmt0 device, this is rather important to us.

Any ideas?

Jeff Siegal
-------