ULTRIX 1.1 Eagle Disc Problems solved - Summary

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Thu Feb 20 00:41:21 AEST 1986

In article <207 at ecrcvax.UUCP> snoopy at ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) writes:
>... my SI eagles have 48 sects per track and the MSCP controller
>says they only have 47. Answer: The MSCP *controller* reserves one
>(the last) sector of any track for *its own* bad block forwarding.
>[...]  I presume the general way is to have one less than nsect
>for MSCP devices.

Assuming only one sector per track is unwise.  The `get unit status'
end packet includes information on the number of reserved sectors per
track.

>Some of the problems could have been solved with better info on
>MSCP. I have nothing on this. Is there anyone who can point me to
>some reliable documentation ?

No---or at least not yet....

(`Shipped on the tenth'... let me see... that means I should see
them by the end of the year....)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu