Symbolic user names and RFS

Lindsay F. Marshall ncx at cheviot.uucp
Fri Feb 28 20:01:07 AEST 1986

In article <781 at im4u.UUCP> jsq at im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:

>Jumping to conclusions makes for good flames but not good discussions.
>--

What conclusions did I jump to??? I wasnt flaming, I was attempting to
make a technical point - namely that the statement that a uid scheme
such as yours was *imperative* for security was manifestly false. If
you have evidence that this is not the case lets see it, otherwise dont
try to sidetrack the issue. As far as I have seen none of the points
you raised were mentioned by ANY of the posters on this topic - where
did they come from??? I repeat again - the only advantage to be gained
from having a homogeneous uid (or do you mean symbolic name??) space
is administrative. Security is not enhanced at all in fact I think that
it may even be decreased, as the space for name/uid guessing is well
defined.......
Lindsay F. Marshall, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
  ARPA  : lindsay%cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk at ucl-cs.arpa
  JANET : lindsay at uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
  UUCP  : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!lindsay