Symbolic user names and RFS

John Quarterman jsq at im4u.UUCP
Wed Feb 26 07:22:24 AEST 1986

In article <591 at cheviot.uucp> ncx at cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) writes:
>In article <759 at im4u.UUCP> smoot at im4u.UUCP writes:
>>It seems that it is *imperative* for security reasons to have the same
>>UID/GID ==> username mapping on any systems which share filesystems.
>
>Rubbish!!!!! Why on earth should  I have to support the same mapping as you?

*sigh*  Smoot's too polite to followup to these flames.
So I'll point out a couple of things overlooked by the flamers:

Nobody suggested you should have the same uids as we do.
Nobody recommended that even all of our university adopt
the CS uid standard, nor have we ever expected them to.
The remote filesystem we use at the moment is Sun's NFS,
not RFS (neither of them) nor the Newcastle Connection.

Jumping to conclusions makes for good flames but not good discussions.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq at im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq at sally.UTEXAS.EDU