ULTRIX futures?

Chuq Von Rospach chuq at sun.uucp
Tue Feb 11 03:40:34 AEST 1986

> You guys
> really should square off at a Usenix BOF some time and we can vote on the
> winner.

Hmm... Maybe Unix Review could get one of them to interview the other...

> PS: My manager worked with Doug for a while at the P1003 meetings and tells
> me that he is 100% anti-BSD in person as well.  Notice that both of these
> gentlemen work in a "mixed" environment of BSD/SV.  Maybe oil and water
> don't mix?  How about it Pyramid?  DCS

This is a cheap shot. I might as well say "My barber talked to Dave's barber
at a convention and he has dandruff". A typical attack. If you don't like
what a person is saying, attack the person.

Gwyn is in a (relatively rare) position to know the techie details of both
versions of Unix. I find it amusing that people who take a preference of one
system or another out of ignorance (simply because they haven't or won't
work with the other side) attack him for learning both and making a choice.
Something backwards there...

Frankly, any preference between SVRx and 4.x is religious. Either system
should be able to do most jobs more or less as well. These kinds of
backstabbing 'debates' make as much sense as the 'emacs' versus 'vi' jihad's
that go on. Unfortunately, people seem to enjoy them, since the spend a lot
more time arguing techie religions than they do technical stuff.

chuq
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq at decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

My uncle told me all of this. It must be true, because I know my uncle, and he
is as honest as me.